==============================  CFJ 1498  ==============================

    No two Rules may legally have the same Title.

========================================================================

Caller:                                 Wes

Judge:                                  Sir Toby
Judgement:                              FALSE

Appeal:                                 1498a
Decision:                               SUSTAIN

========================================================================

History:

Called by Wes:                          12 Apr 2004 20:18:47 GMT
Assigned to Sir Toby:                   18 Apr 2004 20:57:31 GMT
Judged FALSE by Sir Toby:               21 Apr 2004 04:26:55 GMT
Appealed by root:                       21 Apr 2004 08:20:17 GMT
Appealed by Elysion:                    21 Apr 2004 19:35:59 GMT
Appealed by Wes:                        21 Apr 2004 23:17:34 GMT
Appeal 1498a:                           21 Apr 2004 23:17:34 GMT
SUSTAINED on Appeal:                    30 Apr 2004 17:02:17 GMT

========================================================================

Caller's Arguments:

Premise #1 - A Rule of Agora Nomic is a Rule-defined
entity.

Only an entity may have Properties [Rule 1011]. Power
is a Nomic Property and is possessed by Rules [Rules
1688 and 1274]. Ergo, a Rule is an entity.

It appears to be trivially true that the Rules are
themselves defined by the Rules [101, 1688, 1482,
1030, 105, 115, etc.].

Premise #2 - A Rule's Title is a name or nickname.

A name is, per the American Heritage Dictionary, "A
word or words by which an entity is designated and
distinguished from others." This appears to suit the
use of Rule Titles nicely.

Of course, per Rule 1586, no two Rule-defined entities
may have the same name or nickname.

Therefore, no two Rules may have the same Title
without being in violation of Rule 1586.

========================================================================

Judge Sir Toby's Arguments:

You'll get no argument from me that a Rule is indeed a Rule-defined
entity. The question becomes, is the Title of a Rule a name or nickname of
a Rule? Rule 1485 defines a Rule's Title as follows:

      Each Rule has a Title, which is a single line of text
      containing not more than 60 characters.  The Title must be
      listed by the Rulekeepor along with the Rule.  However, the
      Title is not part of the Rule itself and has no effect on the
      meaning or application of the Rule, being merely a convenience
      for the Players.

The Rules do not explicitly require a name or nickname for a Rule. The
Rules do explicitly require a name for some entities, such as the Nomic we
are playing (Rule 1020), Organizations (Rules 1528 and 1614), and Teams
(Rule 2041). There are some entities where the Rules do not explicitly
require a name or nickname, but the Rules refer to the entity's name, such
as Offices (Rule 1006) and Players (Rule 559 section i). Rule 1586 seems
to imply that every Rules-defined entity has a name or nickname, as it
requires that no two Rules-defined entities can share the same name. If an
entity is not required to have a name, does it in essence have a NULL
name? If so, if multiple entities are not named, would that violate Rule
1586? The rules aren't clear on this matter.

I don't feel it would be in the best interest of the game to say that
every non-named entity is in violation of Rule 1586, as my search through
the Rules reveals many Rules-defined entities that don't have names, such
as Claims of Error, Holidays, Orders, and more. Requiring unique names for
these entities when it clearly would be an organizational nightmare is not
in the best interest of the game.

Given the organizational nightmare with attempting to assign names or
nicknames to entities that aren't required to have names or nicknames by
the Rules, I am hesitant to set a precedent regarding what can be
considered a name or nickname of an entity that isn't required to have a
name or nickname by the Rules. The Rules do not require a name or nickname
for a Rule. Therefore, Rules have no name or nickname. A Rule's Title is
not a name or nickname for the Rule. I return a judgement of FALSE.

========================================================================

Judge Sir Toby's Evidence:

Rule 1485/8 (Power=1)
Titles for Rules

      Each Rule has a Title, which is a single line of text
      containing not more than 60 characters.  The Title must be
      listed by the Rulekeepor along with the Rule.  However, the
      Title is not part of the Rule itself and has no effect on the
      meaning or application of the Rule, being merely a convenience
      for the Players.

      A Rule Change that Creates a new Rule may specify a Title for
      the new Rule.  If it does not, the Rulekeepor shall choose the
      new Rule's Title.

      The Rulekeepor is authorized to change the Title of a Rule
      Without Objection.


Rule 1020/0 (Power=3)
Name Is Agora

      The Official Name of this Nomic shall be Agora.


Rule 1528/7 (Power=1)
Organizations

      An Organization is an entity designated as such by the Rules.

      Each Organization shall have the following properties:

        a) A Name.
        b) A Class.
        c) A Charter.
        d) An Administrator.
        e) One or more Members.

      Any of these properties may be changed by unanimous agreement of
      all Members, except for Class which may never change.


Rule 1614/7 (Power=1)
Names of Organizations

      Each Organization has a unique Name.  The Name of an
      Organization may only change as specified by its Charter or by
      the Rules.


Rule 2041/1 (Power=1)
Teams

      All Players are grouped into units known as Teams.  No Player
      may belong to more than one Team at any time.

      Each Team shall have a Team Name by which it is known.  A Player
      in a Team may change that Team's Team Name with the Support of
      two other Players in the same Team.


Rule 1006/9 (Power=1)
Offices

      The Rules may designate positions to be offices.  No office may
      be held by more than one player.  Each office that would
      otherwise not be held by any player shall be held by the
      Speaker, unless it is not possible for the Speaker to hold that
      office.

      The holder of an office may be referred to by the name of the
      office.


Rule 559/21 (Power=1)
The Registrar

      The Registrar is an office; its holder is responsible for
      maintaining the register of players.

      The Registrar's Report shall include all of the following
      information:

         (i) a list of all registered players, with their nicknames,
             if any, and listed email addresses;

        (ii) a list of all Grace Periods in progress, including the
             player subject to the Grace period, the time at which
             it started, and the time at which it will end;

       (iii) a list of all Unready players;

        (iv) the most recent date on which each registered player
             registered;

         (v) each player's activity level, and the most recent date on
             which that player's activity level changed;

        (vi) each player's Noisy/Quiet/Silent status, and the most
             recent date on which that player became Noisy, Quiet,
             or Silent;

       (vii) the identity of the Distributor; and

      (viii) a list of players who are Monks.


Rule 1586/2 (Power=2)
Definition and Continuity of Entities

      No two Rule-defined entities shall have the same name or
      nickname.

      If the Rules defining some entity are repealed or amended
      such that they no longer define that entity, then that
      entity along with all its properties shall cease to exist.

      If the Rules defining an entity are amended such that they
      still define that entity but with different properties,
      that entity and its properties shall continue to exist to
      whatever extent is possible under the new definitions.

========================================================================

Appellant root's Arguments:

> You'll get no argument from me that a Rule is indeed a Rule-defined
> entity. The question becomes, is the Title of a Rule a name or nickname of
> a Rule? Rule 1485 defines a Rule's Title as follows:
>
>       Each Rule has a Title, which is a single line of text
>       containing not more than 60 characters.  The Title must be
>       listed by the Rulekeepor along with the Rule.  However, the
>       Title is not part of the Rule itself and has no effect on the
>       meaning or application of the Rule, being merely a convenience
>       for the Players.

I'm not following your argument that Title != Name; I don't see why it
shouldn't be, and I don't see how R1485 contradicts that. In fact, since
Title is explicitly defined by the Rules and Name is not, it follows from
R754(4) that Name should be taken to have the same meaning as Title.
Interestingly, this suggests that any name of any entity must be a single
line of text containing not more than 60 characters, as directed by R1485.

> The Rules do not explicitly require a name or nickname for a Rule. The
> Rules do explicitly require a name for some entities, such as the Nomic we
> are playing (Rule 1020), Organizations (Rules 1528 and 1614), and Teams
> (Rule 2041). There are some entities where the Rules do not explicitly
> require a name or nickname, but the Rules refer to the entity's name, such
> as Offices (Rule 1006) and Players (Rule 559 section i). Rule 1586 seems
> to imply that every Rules-defined entity has a name or nickname, as it
> requires that no two Rules-defined entities can share the same name. If an
> entity is not required to have a name, does it in essence have a NULL
> name? If so, if multiple entities are not named, would that violate Rule
> 1586? The rules aren't clear on this matter.

The Ruleset is not a programming language, and the only entities that
might be considered to have a NULL name in any sense are the hypothetical
entities named "NULL" and "" (and I would have strong reservations about
the latter).  Not having a name is different from having a NULL name,
and it is quite clear (to me, anyway) that if two entities each have no
name whatsoever, then there does not exist any name that is shared by
both.

> I don't feel it would be in the best interest of the game to say that
> every non-named entity is in violation of Rule 1586, as my search through
> the Rules reveals many Rules-defined entities that don't have names, such
> as Claims of Error, Holidays, Orders, and more. Requiring unique names for
> these entities when it clearly would be an organizational nightmare is not
> in the best interest of the game.
>
> Given the organizational nightmare with attempting to assign names or
> nicknames to entities that aren't required to have names or nicknames by
> the Rules, I am hesitant to set a precedent regarding what can be
> considered a name or nickname of an entity that isn't required to have a
> name or nickname by the Rules. The Rules do not require a name or nickname
> for a Rule. Therefore, Rules have no name or nickname. A Rule's Title is
> not a name or nickname for the Rule. I return a judgement of FALSE.

As above, R1586 doesn't concern itself with names that aren't held, only
with names that are held, so unnamed entities are not in violation of it.
Also, if you take the R754(4)-derived definition of Name, then Rules in
fact are required to have names by R1485, and so judging that Titles are
Names doesn't set any such precedent as described in the preceding
paragraph.

========================================================================

Appellant Wes's Arguments:

Not all entities have names, but a Title (as defined by the Rules) does
serve the normal English definition of a "name," and thus should be
considered to be one.

========================================================================