==============================  CFJ 2367  ==============================

    There is a rule with ID number 2105.

========================================================================

Caller:                                 ais523

Judge:                                  omd
Judgement:                              TRUE

========================================================================

History:

Called by ais523:                       05 Feb 2009 14:44:21 GMT
Assigned to omd:                        10 Feb 2009 06:04:49 GMT
Judged TRUE by omd:                     21 Feb 2009 19:54:32 GMT

========================================================================

Caller's Arguments:

Rule 2141 says:
{{{
      A rule is a type of instrument with the capacity to govern
      the game generally.  A rule's content takes the form of
      a text, and is unlimited in scope.  In particular, a rule
      may define in-game entities and regulate their behaviour,
      make instantaneous changes to the state of in-game entities,
      prescribe or proscribe certain player behaviour, modify the
      rules or the application thereof, or do any of these things
      in a conditional manner.
}}}

Rule 2105 is an ASCII art picture (therefore not text) that doesn't
attempt to define, regulate, change or modify anything, even
conditionally; so it doesn't seem to fit the definition of a rule in
Rule 2141. Rule 1586 states:
{{{
      If the documents defining an entity are repealed or amended such
      that they no longer define that entity, then that entity and its
      properties cease to exist.
}}}
and rule 2141 was created in 2007, more recently than rule 2105 in 2005.
So if rule 2105 were ever a rule, rule 1586 caused it to cease to exist
when rule 2141 were created or amended. (Note that although the Ruleset
has been ratified, most recently in September 2008, rule 2141 was most
recently amended in January 2009.)

========================================================================

Gratuitous Arguments by Murphy:

ais523 wrote:

> Rule 2105 is an ASCII art picture (therefore not text)

At least some ASCII art is also text, e.g.
http://zenith.homelinux.net/cotc/viewcase.php?cfj=1267

> that doesn't
> attempt to define, regulate, change or modify anything, even
> conditionally; so it doesn't seem to fit the definition of a rule in
> Rule 2141.

Rule 2141 says "a rule may", not "a rule must (one or more of)".

========================================================================

Gratuitous Arguments by G.:

1. In many modern contexts ASCII *is* text (e.g. "text file").

2. This particular art contains words and phrases.  It might
   be non-operational, but there's probably at least some
   "non-operational" text in the rules right now (e.g. unused
   mechanisms) and at times there's certainly been a lot more.

3. If another rule made this rule 'operational'; e.g. "any
   player whose nickname is shown on the map wins by Cartography",
   it would become a rule by your argument. That would imply
   that an arbitrary rule could turn on and off another
   arbitrary rule's rule-ness; clearly not for the good of the
   game.  Better assumption is just that 'may' includes 'may not
   do any of these'.

========================================================================

Judge omd's Arguments:

There is no ambiguity like with apologies/contracts/proposals which
are defined to have certain characteristics: the quoted rule clearly
states that a rule is composed of an arbitrary text, which _may_
define in-game entities, etc., etc., not that it must do so.  'may'
can have multiple meanings, and the caller's arguments would be valid
if the second definition below was used, but the most natural reading
of 'may' in that context is using the first definition.  TRUE.

1.  To be allowed or permitted to: May I take a swim? Yes, you may.
2. Used to indicate a certain measure of likelihood or possibility: It
may rain this afternoon.

-- http://www.answers.com/may

========================================================================